Thursday, September 3, 2009

Reconstruction Straight from the Dumpster!


This article caught my attention just by looking at one picture of a room with picture frames built as a ceiling. I found it in the New York Times, http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/03/garden/03recycle.html?pagewanted=2&ref=garden. This is extravagant in my eyes to see someone being so creative and at the same time being so resourceful. Dan Phillips age 64, from Huntsville Texas started building low income homes out of scrap material he found in dumpsters. To Dan anything discarded and durable is potential builing material. Dan has built 14 homes in Huntsville, he is a self tought electrician, plumber, and carpenter. Dan say's "you can defy the laws of physics or building codes, but beyond that, the possibilities are endless." His faith in changing the assumptions of living day to day really changed his community, he loved building houses that are different and not the everyday "hollywood dream house". Some houses that he built, the buyer would help build as well, Dan always liked the finishing of the project to watch the buyer grow to appreciate and love what they helped to create.
In my eyes this man is set out on a mission to help himself, others, and the world, I think he does this not only because he enjoys builing things but also because it is a challenge, and a very good challenge that implies people to recycle and use trash to make a home.
To me I look up to this man, I first reacted like o that is a really cool idea, I never thought of that. Honestly I do not see the average citizen complying with this motivating design to help our lost planet. But for the people who did it, props to you. I believe I reacted this way cause sadly I don't see people reconciling to this obscure plan to help deteriorate our worlds polution, and what is the best way to do that, to put it all back in our homes.
I beleive this man has started something fantastical! It would be a blessing for people to navigate to another resource to help our very very needy planet. In order to do that we need followers!

1 comment:

  1. I like your article, so interesting! For some reason I like reading the blogs that have spacing between the paragraphs though. I have't figured out why.

    ReplyDelete