Saturday, October 3, 2009


The Los Angeles National Forest;
I found this article at http://www.nytimes.com/pages/science/index.html. This fire burned for nearly over a month and burned away nearly a quarter of the mountains, which was a beautiful backdrop of the skyline in Los Angeles. Scientist are curious now, wanting to know how animals can have a fighting chance to live not only during but mainly after mass fires. Other scientist are “intensifying study of the environmental aftermath of the changing burn pattern.” They are wanting a better understanding of it, especially in areas where development meets wilderness and threatened and endangered species are present. Mr. Hoefen, a scientist also said “Hopefully, our science will start to show people that it is not just a fire, but there could be problems for the frogs, fish and the runoff.”, “Wind and rain blowing the ash into streams and ponds could have an effect after the fire.” 7 of Los Angeles largest wildfires have occurred in the last six years, and unfortunately most were caused by people.
“We have to figure out a way to give animals a way to persist in a way they did before in a landscape that is burning too fast too much.”, Said Robert N. Fisher, a biologist with the United States Geological Survey, which has coordinated a team to take a closer look at this fire and other recent ones as well. The fire was named The Station fire, it started on August 26th near a ranger station, has destroyed several dozen homes and caused the deaths of two Los Angeles County firefighters. It is the largest fire in the modern history of Los Angeles County. It has burned more than 160,000 acres.
After reading this article it made me think of not only all of the homes that burned and the firefighters that helped save lives. It’s a tragedy that is a difficulty to handle for people, animals and for mothernature. It’s sad to have to see this kind of disaster, the rebuilding of this destruction is impossible. This article made me act concerned towards those who actually try and help.
I think I reacted the way I did because there are scientist who not only care about the forest life but also the animal life that was once there. I find it interesting to find that they want to know why the water was affected, when they went into effect, and how they affected the animals. Not only does this disaster cause concern in the lives of people but also the lives of innocent animals and some are endangered. Mr. Hoefen said that ash can have a long outcome towards wild life. “Wind and rain blowing the ash into streams and ponds could have an effect after the fire.” Which I find to be devastating to hear.
In conclusion I am thankful that wild fires are not around here very often. It is a scary and very uncontrollable disaster that is very harmful in a lot of different stand points. I look up to the scientist trying to figure out ways to help the environment and the animals as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment