Friday, December 11, 2009

Indian art/architecture

I found this article at; http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/southasia/Culture/Archit/Archit.html I thought I would expand my knowledge to a more cultural look. I was browsing through some very unique pictures of this time period. It led me to the Gopuram one of the greatest achievements of Indian civilization. It is said to be a greater deal than Taj Mahal, Khajuraho, Vijayanagara.

In the time of Ashoka (c.270-232), the construction of the Buddhist monasteries and stupas were the beginnings of the Indian architecture to the advent of Buddhism in India. This temple is an ancient piece of culture, art, and architecture. It is beautifully designed to represent the culture of the Buddhism beliefs. Indian culture is very intricate and detailed, It is so fascinating to see how unique. They sculpt animals and Gods that they adore and worship. I would love to experience this art in my own eyes. I believe I would have a better sense of feeling if I were to portray the art in person. Architecture is a term to describe form and stability, but the Hindu temples are “temples”. The two terms shouldn’t be used together quite so much. The culture brings so much life into the art, you see the artist in the sculptures.

For several centuries Buddhist architecture was predominant, now there are only few remains of Hindu temples. By the eighth century, the Hindu school of architecture was beginning to flourish. The rock-cut temples of Mahabalipuram and the temples of Kanchipuram are the most notable achievements of the Pallavas. Hindus added a completely new series of incredible temples and imaginable carvings. They once were in Buddhist caves, but went to the majestic Kailasa temple, constructed for Rashtrakuta monarch Krishna.

What interests me most is how so many cultures differ from one another, and the way people express their passions for their appreciation of life. Joy comes from so many things, art, worship, writing, compassion. There are too many way’s you could go, everyone has their own definite expression of your beliefs. Indian culture is an extreme art of carving and proportioned architecture that is so rare and unique.

This portion of history is what created the structure and objects we have now. To understand the great deal that our history provides for us is practically impossible. With some people their eyes are strictly focusing on one thing in their life. In today’s advanced technology we communicate with in seconds. We can turn on a colorful talking screen of “entertainment” in every room. Or we could research and explore about the incredible knowledge of the past that makes us who we are today. Without the depth of art and religion in design, there would never have been a better sought of creation. If they hadn’t of been here to expand the knowledge what kind of structured house would we be living in? I metal cast with glass walls? Who knows, but no matter what kind of structure we live in we can always create. There is not a more compassionate way to express your thoughts than to scribble them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment