Friday, September 25, 2009




MONARCH BUTTERFLIES
From 1975-1985, the female race of monarch butterflies dropped 53 percent. But unfortunately from the last decade 43 percent of the female population has dropped. Which is an outstanding amount that fears all the butterfly lovers. Monarchs are the most iconic butterflies, they migrate from the eastern United States to the mountaintops of Mexico, where sometimes almost millions gather, and Monarch west of the Rockies spend the winter along the California coast. The sex ratio was the first study, which quickly turned into something else. A decline in females were also found southward of the monarchs migration as well. “That means the females aren’t entering the migratory pool, whatever it is, it’s happening before or during the migration period.”


When I first read this article and got the statistics on how many Monarchs were slowly disappearing I was sad. I admit my love for animals is a little too much. But, butterflies are the most enduring creatures, they are so docile and beautiful it’s difficult not to enjoy their presence. Knowing that the female population is dropping rapidly it seems it is quit devastating to the butterfly race. My thoughts from reading further into the story did not change what so ever.

I believe I reacted this way because I wish to help the population of the monarch butterflies. Just from the last decade “43 percent of the female population has dropped.” That’s almost half of the population! Where did all of these female butterflies go? Why did they go? And How did they go, is exactly what I would like to find out. Life is always a mystery, whether it is about the human race or the animal race, there is always something that happens that is unexplainable. I mean if the population of female butterflies decreases what’s to say any other female race wont decrease. The world is full of unremarkable changes that we and everyone on this earth has to endure whether it affects our daily lives or not it drastically effects and changes the world with every movement.

In conclusion, this article sets an observation on the kindness and disasters this world has out for us. There’s no better way to explain the worlds habits other than what you’ve read above. This article to this day is still a mystery. Scientist discovered the population decrease years ago and is a still an on-going topic that amazes us still to this day.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful little insects. I took my family to Springfield to see their butterfly garden. This park had acres covered in gardens, plants, veggies, flowere, all labeled. They also had a mesh tent with specific plants that specific butterflies like. They had all the stages set out for you to see and butterflies flying around in the tent. It is definately worth the trip.

    ReplyDelete