Sunday, October 25, 2009

Clean Up Time!

Clean Up Time!
In Los Alamos, they are cleaning up and getting rid of the dump that no one sought to clean. The lab has been around since 1945. It is where the world’s first nuclear explosion was created, during World War 2. Now, there is a team of workers using $212 million dollars of federal stimulus money to clean up the 65-year old lab. Nearly 73,000 people have applied for stimulus jobs cleaning up nuclear sites since the program was announced. Over 10,800 positions have been taken. They are approaching the job in a very caring manner for no one to get harmed. The people living there are not affected by the lab anymore. There were some bad times for them, a fire actually broke out uncomfortably close to its original plant near the center of town. But the town has amazing grown since then, and they have many businesses right across the street from the old dump.

My first response to this article was that it was interesting how many people actually tried to get a job cleaning up nuclear waste plants. This article shows how bad the economy has fallen, and how desperate people really are in today’s world. I guess you never know what people will do until the time approaches and the will is willing.

I believe that it is quite dangerous to be not only cleaning the areas of the labs but to be destroying them? They must be doing a lot of planning and organizing, in order to have very safe procedures. If it were me or a relative of mine doing this, I’m not quite sure if I would allow such a thing. It’s different if you were a scientist there and you knew all the dangers. But to be an ordinary Joe and to walk into that, is a scary thing in my eyes. I would be scared to risk my life, just in order to take care of the family or the bills. Before reading the whole article I couldn’t believe that they were demolishing the lab while still having people in the area. It seems almost cruel and unusual, but the town folks have lived with the plant there, their entire lives. I bet the only thing that bothers them is having the eye sore. My opinions really didn’t change that much after reading the whole article. I still thought that the people working were a little crazy…

In conclusion, I believe this is a job for highly professionals to deal with. Even if the pay is outstanding for the average citizen, which it defiantly should be. I still don’t see if being worth losing my life over it, or hundreds of other peoples live that live around the area. Anything could happen to the plant, there are harsh chemicals left in there as well as it is soaked in the earth. They may be wearing masks and body suits but that still won’t prevent an explosion from happening. And what makes them decide to clean it all up now anyways? Was it the government or the city? .

1 comment:

  1. I would be concerned for the worker safety also if I were not first and foremost angry at my money being spent in this manner to create temporary jobs that produce nothing and might actually create a problem that does not exist in the first place if we were to just leave the stuff buried safely as is. The government is just trying to justify spending the money when they are actually wasting the money that could be put to better use for our county. When the money runs out so will the jobs and so will the work on the so called important environmental clean up. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete